13 KAR 2:025. College preparatory education.
RELATES TO: KRS 164.001, 164.002, 164.098
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 164.020(29), 164.098(1)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 164.098(1) requires the Council on Postsecondary Education to promulgate an administrative regulation requiring public postsecondary educational institutions, beginning with the 2003-2004 school year, to grant academic college credit toward graduation for students taking high school advanced placement courses and scoring at a certain level. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements for receiving college credit by students taking the high school advanced placement examination.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Advanced placement" is defined by KRS 164.002(1).
(2) "AP exam" or "College Board Advanced Placement Examination" is defined by KRS 164.002(3).
(3) "Council" means the Council on Postsecondary Education as defined in KRS 164.011.
(4) "Institution" means a public postsecondary educational institution listed in KRS 164.001(16).
Section 2. College and University Academic Credit for AP Examination. (1) Effective with the 2003-04 academic year, an institution shall grant academic credit toward college graduation for a high school student who scores three (3) or higher on the AP exam.
(2) An institution shall develop, by January 1, 2003, a written policy to implement the requirement of subsection (1) of this section.
(a) The written policy shall specify whether the institution shall grant academic credit toward the requirements of a major, program, or degree and shall state:
1. What AP exams will be accepted toward academic credit toward a major, program or degree; and
2. The minimum acceptable score on the AP exam for granting the academic credit toward a major, program or degree.
(b) The written policy shall fully comply with subsection (1) of this section.
(3) An institution shall submit to the council, by January 1, 2003, the policy developed pursuant to this administrative regulation.
(4) An institution shall publish and disseminate the policy developed in subsection (2) of this section in electronic and print form. (29 Ky.R. 835; Am. 1238; eff. 11-12-2002.)