201 KAR 2:045. Technicians.
RELATES TO: KRS 315.010(12), (20), (26), 315.020(4)(b), 315.191(1)(a), (g), (l)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 315.010(20), 315.020(4)(b), 315.191(1)(a), (g), (l)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 315.191(1)(a) authorizes the board to promulgate administrative regulations governing pharmacy technicians. KRS 315.020(4)(b) authorizes the board to establish the scope of practice for pharmacy technicians. KRS 315.010(20) and 315.191(1)(l) authorize the board to promulgate administrative regulations establishing when a pharmacy technician can practice under the general, rather than immediate, supervision of a pharmacist. This administrative regulation establishes the qualifications required for a pharmacy technician to practice under the general supervision of a pharmacist, and establishes the scope of practice for a pharmacy technician.
Section 1. A person shall be recognized by the board as a certified pharmacy technician, if:
(1)(a) The person has successfully completed the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) administered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) or the Examination for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ExCPT) by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA); and
(b) The certificate issued by the PTCB or NHA is current; or
(2) The person has successfully completed the Nuclear Pharmacy Technician Training Program at the University of Tennessee.
Section 2. A certified pharmacy technician may perform the following functions under the general supervision of a pharmacist:
(1) Certify for delivery unit dose mobile transport systems that have been refilled by another technician;
(2) Within a nuclear pharmacy, receive diagnostic orders; and
(3)(a) Initiate or receive a telephonic communication from a practitioner or practitioner's agent concerning refill authorization, after the certified pharmacy technician clearly identifies himself or herself as a certified pharmacy technician; and
(b) If a practitioner or practitioner's agent communicates information that does not relate to the refill authorization:
1. A technician shall immediately inform the pharmacist; and
2. The pharmacist shall receive the communication.
Section 3. (1) A technician who has not been certified by PTCB or NHA may perform the functions specified by Section 2 of this administrative regulation under the immediate supervision of a pharmacist.
(2) A function performed by a certified pharmacy technician or pharmacy technician shall be performed subject to the review of the pharmacist who directed the technician to perform the function.
(3) A pharmacist who directs a certified pharmacy technician or pharmacy technician to perform a function shall be responsible for the technician and the performance of the function. (23 Ky.R. 3124; Am. 3806; 4108; eff. 6-16-97; 26 Ky.R. 1687; 2238; eff. 6-12-2000; 35 Ky.R. 2484; 36 Ky.R. 321; eff. 8-12-2009; 43 Ky.R. 606, 952; eff. 12-14-2016.)