RELATES TO: KRS 218A.202, 218A.205(3)(h), 320.280
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 218A.205(3)(h), 320.240(7), 320.280(2)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 320.280(2) requires all licensed optometrists to annually take courses of study in subjects relating to the practice of optometry. KRS 218A.205(3)(h) requires optometrists to obtain seven and one-half (7.5) percent of their continuing education credits in the use of the electronic monitoring system established pursuant to KRS 218A.202, pain management, or addiction disorders. This administrative regulation establishes the required hours of study and prescribes the approved programs and those records that shall be maintained and submitted showing proof of attendance at those programs.
Section 1. (1) The annual course of study shall be completed each calendar year.
(2)(a) A licensee shall attend a minimum of eight (8) continuing education credit hours.
(b) In addition to the requirements of paragraph (a) of this subsection, an optometrist who is authorized to prescribe therapeutic agents shall attend a minimum of seven (7) credit hours in ocular therapy and pharmacology, for a total of at least fifteen (15) continuing education credits.
(c) In addition to the requirements of paragraph (a) and (b) of this subsection, an optometrist who is credentialed by the board to perform expanded therapeutic procedures shall attend a minimum of five (5) additional credit hours in expanded therapeutic procedures, for a total of at least twenty (20) continuing education credits.
(d) A licensee who is authorized to prescribe controlled substances shall obtain two (2) credit hours that relate to the use of the electronic monitoring system established in accordance with KRS 218A.202 known as Kentucky All Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting (KASPER), pain management, or addiction disorders as part of the licensee’s total continuing education credits.
Section 2. In order to be approved, an educational course shall be sponsored by a recognized not for profit state, regional (multistate), or national optometric association, an accredited college of optometry, or an accredited college of medicine.
Section 3. (1) In order to be credited for an educational course, a licensee shall submit an attendance form to the board.
(2) The attendance form shall be submitted on or before December 31 of each calendar year.
Section 4. A sponsor of an approved educational course shall furnish an attendance form to a licensee. The attendance form shall contain the following information:
(1) Name of the sponsoring organization;
(2) Name and address of the licensee;
(3) Educational topics addressed at the course;
(4) Identity of the speakers;
(5) Number of hours attended by the licensee;
(6) Date of the program;
(7) Statement by the licensee that he or she has attended the course; and
(8) Signature of an official of the sponsoring organization.
Section 5. Credit shall not be given for more than two (2) hours attendance in a course of office management and administration.
Section 6. (1) Except as established in subsection (2) of this section, credit may be granted for a maximum of five (5) hours continuing education through the Internet.
(2) The credit hours required by Section 1(2)(c) of this administrative regulation shall not be obtained through the Internet. (1 Ky.R. 61; eff. 11-13-1974; Am. 17 Ky.R. 2486; 2941; eff. 4-5-1991; 27 Ky.R. 2866; 28 Ky.R. 350; eff. 8-15-2001; 28 Ky.R. 2639; 29 Ky.R. 430; eff. 8-12-2002; 39 Ky.R. 511; eff. 2-1-2013; 42 Ky.R. 824; 1460; eff. 11-18-2015.)