RELATES TO: KRS 317A.020(5), 317A.060(1), 317A.090, 317B.025(4)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 317A.060(1), 317B.020
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 317A.060 and 317B.020 authorize the board to promulgate administrative regulations relating to the activities and responsibilities of instructors and apprentice instructors. This administrative regulation establishes the standards that shall be met by instructors and apprentice instructors.
Section 1. (1) A person employed by a school for the purpose of managing, teaching, or instruction shall be licensed as a cosmetologist instructor or esthetic instructor.
(2) A licensed instructor shall keep a personal photograph posted with his or her license.
Section 2. A student shall be under the immediate supervision of a licensed instructor during a class, study hours, or practical student work.
Section 3. (1) A licensed cosmetologist, nail technician, or esthetician shall not render services in a school.
(2) An instructor or apprentice instructor shall render services only incidental to and for the purpose of instruction.
Section 4. An instructor employed in a school of cosmetology shall devote his or her entire time during the school hours to that of instructing students and shall not apply his or her time to that of private or public practice for compensation during school hours or permit students to instruct or teach other students in the absence of a teacher.
Section 5. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, teaching shall not be done by a demonstrator.
(2) A properly qualified, licensed individual may demonstrate a new process, preparation, or appliance in the presence of a licensed instructor in a licensed school.
Section 6. All services rendered in a school on patrons shall be done by students only. Instructors may teach and aid the students in performing the various services.
Section 7. An instructor or apprentice instructor in attendance shall wear a clean, washable uniform and an insignia or badge indicating that he or she is an instructor or apprentice instructor in the school.
Section 8. A school of cosmetology shall, within five (5) days after the termination, employment, or other change in faculty personnel, notify the board of that change.
Section 9. A school enrolling an apprentice instructor shall maintain the following ratio: one (1) apprentice instructor to one (1) instructor.
Section 10. The following minimum faculty to student ratios shall be maintained at all times:
(1) One (1) instructor for every twenty (20) cosmetology students enrolled, which includes nail technician students; and
(2) One (1) instructor for every twenty (20) esthetician students enrolled. (KBHC:Sch.Lic.: 1-2; 2 Ky.R. 74; eff. 9-10-1975; Am. 5 Ky.R. 546; 801; eff. 4-4-79; 12 Ky.R. 1731; eff. 6-10-86; 13 Ky.R. 237; eff. 9-4-86; 16 Ky.R. 1955; eff. 5-13-90; 20 Ky.R. 1033; 1783; eff. 1-10-94; 30 Ky.R. 969; 1571; 1919; 2-16-2004; 40 Ky.R. 386; 1034; eff. 12-6-2013.)