201 KAR 26:280. Licensed psychological associate: application procedures and temporary license.
RELATES TO: KRS 319.064
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 319.032(1)(a), (c)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 319.032(1)(a) and (c) require the Board of Examiners of Psychology to promulgate administrative regulations establishing the requirements for an applicant for licensure as a psychological associate. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements for applicants for licensure and the conditions for a temporary license.
Section 1. Application. (1) An application for a credential to perform certain functions as a licensed psychological associate may be submitted after the requirements established in KRS 319.064(2) are met.
(2) The application required by subsection (1) of this section shall be made by submitting a completed Application for Licensure as a Psychological Associate to the board. The application shall:
(a) Include a certification by the applicant that the:
1. Information in the application is true, correct, and complete to the best of his or her knowledge and belief; and
2. Applicant is aware that the board may take disciplinary action if the application contains a misrepresentation or falsification; and
(b) Be accompanied by:
1. A check or money order payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer for the application fee as required by 201 KAR 26:160;
2. Three (3) letters of reference or completed "Recommendation Form for Licensure as a Psychological Associate" from persons qualified to evaluate the applicant's professional ability, including two (2) persons who have received a doctorate in psychology (Ph.D. Psy.D., or Ed.D.); and
3. An official transcript for all levels of education required for licensure.
Section 2. Temporary Licensure. (1) An applicant may request permission to perform functions as a licensed psychological associate on a temporary basis pursuant to KRS 319.064(3).
(2) The request for a temporary credential shall be co-signed by the candidate and the proposed supervisor, who shall be a licensed psychologist approved by the board and who holds the health services provider designation.
(3)(a) A temporary license shall be valid for one (1) year from the date of the notice of approval by the board.
(b) During the period of temporary licensure, a candidate shall:
1. Successfully complete all credentials and examination procedures; and
2. Pass the EPPP.
(c)1. A candidate shall score at least an eighty (80) percent to pass the structured examination of Kentucky mental health law.
2. A candidate shall score a 100 percent to pass the oral examination on ethical principles and professional practice.
(4)(a) Under exceptional circumstances and upon written request cosigned by the board approved supervisor, the board may approve an extension of the period of temporary licensure.
(b) A licensee shall submit a completed Request for Extension of Temporary Licensure as a Psychological Associate to request an extension.
Section 3. Grace Period for Submission of Credentials. In order to allow for processing of the candidate’s materials by the board, there shall be a grace period not to exceed sixty (60) days within which a candidate who has completed his or her degree requirements may begin employment by an agency to practice psychology under supervision with a board-approved supervisor.
(1) Upon acceptance of employment, the candidate and the licensed psychologist who shall serve as the supervisor shall immediately submit a letter of notice to the board indicating that he or she has begun to practice in Kentucky and that application materials are forthcoming. Failure to submit this notice may be grounds for disciplinary action against the candidate and the supervisor.
(2) It shall be the responsibility of the candidate to ensure that all materials are forwarded to the board within thirty (30) days from the date of agency employment. Once the application is complete, the board shall review the material at its next scheduled meeting and, if appropriate, issue either a temporary or permanent credential. If the candidate does not meet the requirements for the credential, or if their application material is insufficient to take any action, he or she shall be directed to cease practice until the requirements are met.
(3) The grace period shall not be extended beyond sixty (60) days. A candidate who fails to achieve approval within this timeframe shall not practice psychology until credentialed by the board.
(4) Upon filing the notice set forth in subsection (1) of this section, the candidate shall be practicing psychology under the jurisdiction of the board, and shall be subject to KRS Chapter 319 and 201 KAR Chapter 26.
Section 4. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) "Application for Licensure as a Psychological Associate", February 2017;
(b) "Recommendation for Licensure as a Psychological Associate", February 2017; and
(c) "Request for Extension of Temporary Licensure as a Psychological Associate", February 2017.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Kentucky Board of Examiners of Psychology, 911 Leawood Drive, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (28 Ky.R. 1520; Am. 1820; eff. 2-7-2002; 31 Ky.R. 1014; 1515; eff. 3-8-2005; 43 Ky.R. 1838; 44 Ky.R. 38; eff. 7-17-2017.)