301 KAR 2:226. Youth waterfowl, moorhen, and gallinule hunting seasons.
RELATES TO: KRS 150.305(1), 150.330, 150.340, 150.990
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 150.025(1), 150.600(1), 50 C.F.R. 20, 21
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 150.025(1) authorizes the department to promulgate administrative regulations to establish open seasons for the taking of wildlife, to regulate bag limits and methods of take, and to make these requirements apply to a limited area. KRS 150.600(1) authorizes the department to regulate the taking of waterfowl on public and private land. This administrative regulation establishes two (2) sets of two (2) special waterfowl hunting days for youth hunters, establishes the requirements for an adult accompanying a youth, and conforms with the frameworks established by 50 C.F.R. Parts 20 and 21.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Adult" means a person who has reached his or her 18th birthday.
(2) "Eastern Zone" means the area including both the Northeast Goose Zone and the Eastern Goose Zone, as established in 301 KAR 2:224.
(3) "Waterfowl" means the species of duck, coot, merganser and goose for which an open season in Kentucky has been established by 301 KAR 2:221.
(4) "Western Zone" means the area including the Pennyroyal-Coalfield Goose Zone, the Western Goose Zone, and the West-Central Goose Zone, as established in 301 KAR 2:224.
(5) "Youth" means a person who has not reached his or her 16th birthday.
Section 2. A youth:
(1) In the Eastern Zone, may hunt waterfowl, moorhen and gallinule on the first Saturday and Sunday of November if he or she is accompanied by an adult;
(2) In the Western Zone, may hunt waterfowl, moorhen, and gallinule on the first Saturday and Sunday of February if he or she is accompanied by an adult; and
(3) Shall obey the provisions of 301 KAR 2:221 and 301 KAR 2:222, except that he or she may hunt on the dates provided in this administrative regulation.
Section 3. An adult accompanying a youth who is waterfowl hunting:
(a) Remain in a position to take immediate control of the youth’s firearm;
(b) Not hunt waterfowl in the Eastern Zone;
(c) Not hunt ducks, coots, and mergansers in the Western Zone; and
(d) Not be required to possess a hunting license or waterfowl permit if he or she is not hunting; and
(2) May hunt other species for which there is an open season. (25 Ky.R. 1746; eff. 3-10-1999; Am. 27 Ky.R. 2875; eff. 6-8-2001; 33 Ky.R. 1114; eff. 12-7-2006; 42 Ky.R. 2822; 43 Ky.R. 21; eff. 7-19-2016.)