600 KAR 2:020. Nonpaying toll road identification cards; emergency vehicles on the toll roads.
RELATES TO: KRS 175.450(4), 175.470, 175.520, 175.525
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 174.080, 175.525(1)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 175.525(1) requires the cabinet to promulgate administrative regulations establishing a toll road identification card for users of toll facilities. This administrative regulation is necessary to establish the application process for a nonpaying toll road identification card and to designate entities that may apply for a card. This administrative regulation also sets forth the manner in which a vehicle may be processed through a toll collection station.
Section 1. Applicability. (1) The Transportation Cabinet shall establish a nonpaying toll road identification card account for the following:
(a) An ambulance transportation service licensed by the Cabinet for Health Service in accordance with 902 KAR Chapter 14;
(b) The Kentucky State Police;
(c) Local fire department;
(d) Local police department;
(e) A funeral establishment licensed by the State Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors, in accordance with KRS 316.125;
(f) The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet; and
(g) The Kentucky National Guard.
(2) The nonpaying toll road identification card shall be used for official business.
(3) The identification card may be presented in lieu of toll payment at a toll collection station.
Section 2. Application for Nonpaying Toll Road Identification Card. (1) The agencies listed in Section 1(1) of this administrative regulation shall submit to the cabinet the following completed forms:
(a) Ambulance service. Form TC 34-121, "Application for Nonpaying Identification Card Account for Ambulance Services".
(b) Kentucky State Police. Form TC 34-125, "Updated State Police Application".
(c) Local fire and police departments. TC 34-120, "Application for Nonpaying Identification Card Account, Local Police and Fire Departments", signed by the responsible mayor or county judge executive.
(d) Funeral establishments. TC 34-124, "Application for Nonpaying Identification Card Account for Funeral Processions".
(e) Kentucky National Guard. TC 34-127, Updated National Guard Application".
(2) The agency applying for a nonpaying toll road identification card shall identify each vehicle for which a card is requested.
(3) The agency shall pay a five (5) dollar fee for each card requested, pursuant to KRS 175.525(1).
(4) In addition to TC 34-124, "Application for Nonpaying Identification Card Account for Funeral Processions", a funeral establishment shall provide proof of current licensure by the State Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors.
Section 3. Renewal of Nonpaying Toll Road Identification Card Accounts. (1) By November 1st, the Transportation Cabinet shall notify an agency with an account that existing identification cards shall expire on the following February 1st.
(2) A current account holder shall, by January 1st, apply for that year's identification cards.
Section 4. Emergency Trips. (1) During an emergency trip on a toll road, if the emergency lights of an ambulance, fire department vehicle, police vehicle, or other emergency vehicle are flashing, the toll collector shall pass the vehicle through the least congested lane of a toll collection station without attempting to stop or process the vehicle.
(2) On the return trip, if the vehicle is no longer in an emergency status, the operator of the emergency vehicle shall:
(a) Present an identification card for processing;
(b) Pay the toll; or
(c) If originally summoned by an employee of the Division of Toll Facilities and if he does not have an identification card, be waived through without charge by the toll collector.
Section 5. Funeral Processions. (1) If a lead hearse in a funeral procession has a nonpaying toll road identification card, every vehicle following the hearse as a part of the procession may proceed through the toll collection booth using the same identification card.
(2) The funeral establishment shall be responsible for retrieving the identification card after the last motor vehicle in the procession has passed the toll collection booth.
(3) On a return trip, a motor vehicle immediately accompanying the hearse shall be permitted to proceed through the toll collection booth using the funeral establishment's identification card.
(4) The identification card shall not be valid for a purpose other than a funeral procession.
Section 6. Transportation Cabinet. (1) A Transportation Cabinet employee may be issued a nonpaying identification card to be used on a toll road, if:
(a) Operating a state-owned motor vehicle; and
(b) Operating the vehicle in the discharge of official duty.
(2) The identification card shall not be used except for official business.
Section 7. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) Form TC-34-121, "Application for Nonpaying Identification Card Account for Ambulance Service", October 1996 edition, Transportation Cabinet;
(b) Form TC 34-125, "Updated State Police Application", October 1996 edition, Transportation Cabinet;
(c) Form TC 34-120, "Application for Nonpaying Identification Card Account, Local Police and Fire Departments", October 1996 edition, Transportation Cabinet;
(d) Form TC 34-124, "Application for Nonpaying Identification Card Account for Funeral Processions", October 1996 edition, Transportation Cabinet; and
(e) Form TC 34-127, "Updated National Guard Application", October 1996 edition, Transportation Cabinet.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained at Transportation Cabinet, Division of Toll Facilities, 643 Teton Trail, Frankfort, Kentucky 40622, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The office telephone number is (502) 564-4628. (11 Ky.R. 1098; eff. 3-12-85; Am. 14 Ky.R. 244; eff. 9-10-87; 15 Ky.R. 532; eff. 10-4-88.)