807 KAR 5:046. Prohibition of master metering.


      RELATES TO: KRS Chapter 278

      STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 278.010(4)(a), 278.040(3), 278.280(2)

      NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 278.280(2) provides that the commission shall prescribe rules for the performance of any service by any utility. This administrative regulation requires electric utilities to meter new buildings individually pursuant to the federal standard established by Section 113(b)(1) of the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act of 1978.


      Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Dwelling unit" means a structure or that part of a structure which is used or intended to be used as a home, residence or a sleeping place by one (1) or more persons maintaining a common household.

      (2) "Multidwelling unit building" means a structure with two (2) or more dwelling units.

      (3) "High rise building" means a building with more than four (4) stories.


      Section 2. Individual Meters Required. An individual electric meter to record the retail sales of electricity shall be installed for each newly constructed dwelling unit in a nontransient multidwelling unit residential building, a mobile home park, or a commercial building for which the building permit application is made after May 31, 1981.


      Section 3. Exclusions. Individual unit metering will not be required for:

      (1) Transient multidwelling buildings including, but not limited to hotels, motels, campgrounds, hospitals, nursing homes, convalescent homes, college dormitories, fraternities, sororities, boatdocks, and mobile homes without a permanent foundation and which is not connected to sanitation facilities.

      (2) Commercial unit spaces where the commercial unit space requirements are subject to alteration with a change in tenants as evidenced by temporary versus permanent type of wall construction.

      (3) Electricity used in central heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems.

      (4) Electricity used in high rise buildings.


      Section 4. Complaints. Applicants for electric service who desire master metering of electricity in a building for which master metering is prohibited may make a formal complaint to the commission as provided in 807 KAR 5:001, Section 19. The applicant shall have the burden of proving that the costs of purchasing and installing separate meters in the building are greater than the long-run benefits of individual metering to the consumers of the electricity at the building. (8 Ky.R. 821; eff. 4-7-1982; TAm 1-30-2013.)