902 KAR 100:160. Plan review.
RELATES TO: KRS 211.842-211.852, 211.990(4)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 194.050, 211.090, 211.844
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: The Cabinet for Human Resources is authorized by KRS 211.844 to provide by administrative regulation for the registration and licensing of the possession or use of sources of ionizing or electronic product radiation and to regulate the handling and disposal of radioactive waste. The purpose of this administrative regulation is to provide requirements for the review by the cabinet of radiation producing machine installation, construction and modification plans.
Section 1. Applicability. This administrative regulation shall apply to persons who construct or modify radiation producing machine installations.
Section 2. Plan Review. Prior to construction or modification of an x-ray facility, the plans and specifications for construction or modification shall be evaluated by a qualified expert. A report of his evaluation shall be submitted to the cabinet for review and approval. This evaluation report shall become a part of the registrant's permanent record with the cabinet. The plans shall show, as a minimum, the following:
(1) The normal location of the radiation- producing equipment's radiation port; the port's travel and traverse limits; general direction(s) of the radiation beam; locations of any windows and doors; the location of the operator's booth; and the location of the equipment's control console.
(2) Structural composition and thickness or lead equivalent of walls, doors, partitions, floor, and ceiling of the room(s) concerned.
(3) The dimensions of the room(s) concerned.
(4) The type of occupancy of adjacent areas inclusive of space above and below the room(s) concerned. If there is an exterior wall, the distance to the closest area(s) where it is likely that individuals may be present.
(5) The make and model of the radiation- producing equipment including the maximum energy output.
(6) The type of examination(s) or treatment(s) to be performed with the equipment (e.g., dental, orthodontal, chest, gastrointestinal, fluoroscopic, podiatry, fixed therapy, rotational therapy, or other).
(7) Information on the anticipated workload.
(8) The facility preregistration or registration number.
Section 3. Qualified Expert's Report. A copy of the qualified expert's report shall be submitted with the plans. This report shall show basic assumptions (i.e., workload, occupancy and use factors, distance, etc.) used to determine the shielding requirements.
Section 4. Approval. The approval by the cabinet of these plans shall not preclude the requirement of additional modifications if a subsequent analysis of operating conditions indicate the possibility of an individual receiving a dose in excess of the limits prescribed in 902 KAR 100:020. (1 Ky.R. 420; eff. 2-5-75; Am. 12 Ky.R. 1418; eff. 3-4-86; 18 Ky.R. 1577; eff. 1-10-92.)