Listing of Sections
2 - Section 145 to End
Part 1 - Preamble to
- Section 145 ...
Persons entitled to vote.
- Section 146 ... Soldiers or sailors stationed in State are not
- Section 147 ... Registration of voters -- Manner of voting --
Absent voting -- Voting machines -- "Election" defined -- Election laws --
Illiterate and disabled voters.
- Section 148 ... Number of elections -- Day and hours of election
-- Qualifications of officers -- Employees to be given time to vote.
- Section 149 ... Privilege from arrest during voting.
- Section 150 ... Disqualification from office for using money or
property to secure or influence election -- Corporation not to use money or other thing of
value to influence election -- Exclusion from office for conviction of felony or high
misdemeanor - - Laws to regulate elections.
- Section 151 ... Person guilty of fraud, intimidation, bribery,
or corrupt practice to be deprived of office by suitable statutory means.
- Section 152 ... Vacancies -- When filled by appointment, when by
election-- Who to fill.
- Section 153 ... Power of General Assembly as to elections.
- Section 154 ... Laws as to sale or gift of liquor on election
- Section 155 ... School elections not governed by Constitution.
Section 156a ... General Assembly authorized to provide for
creation, governmental structure, and classification of cities.
Section 156b ... General Assembly authorized to permit
municipal home rule for cities.
Section 157 ... Maximum tax rate for cities, counties, and
Section 157a ... Credit of Commonwealth may be loaned or given
to county for roads -- County may vote to incur indebtedness and levy additional tax for
Section 157b ... Adoption of budget required for cities,
counties, and taxing districts -- Expenditures not to exceed revenues for fiscal year.
Section 158 ... Maximum indebtedness of cities, counties, and
taxing districts -- General Assembly authorized to set additional limits and conditions.
Section 159 ... Tax to pay indebtedness in not more than forty
years must be levied.
Section 160 ... Municipal officers -- Election and term of
office -- Officers ineligible -- Fiscal officers.
Section 161 ... Compensation of city, county, or municipal
officer not to be changed after election or appointment or during term, nor term extended.
Section 162 ... Unauthorized contracts of cities, counties, and
municipalities are void.
Section 163 ... Public utilities must obtain franchise to use
Section 164 ... Term of franchises limited -- Advertisement and
Section 165 ... Incompatible offices and employments.
Section 166 ... Expiration of city charters granted prior to
Section 167 ... Time of election of city, urban-county, and town
Section 168 ... Ordinance not to fix less penalty than statute
for same offense -- Prosecution under one a bar.
Section 170 ... Property exempt from taxation -- Cities may
exempt factories for five years.
Section 171 ... State tax to be levied -- Taxes to be levied and
collected for public purposes only and by general laws, and to be uniform within classes
-- Classification of property for taxation -- Bonds exempt -- Referendum on act
Section 172 ... Property to be assessed at fair cash value --
Punishment of assessor for willful error.
Section 172A ... Assessment for ad valorem tax purposes of
agricultural and horticultural land.
Section 172B ... Property assessment or reassessment
Section 173 ... Officer receiving profit on public funds guilty
Section 174 ... Property to be taxed according to value, whether
corporate or individual -- Income, license, and franchise taxes.
Section 175 ... Power to tax property not to be surrendered.
Section 176 ... Commonwealth not to assume debt of county or
city -- Exception.
Section 177 ... Commonwealth not to lend credit, nor become
stockholder in corporation, nor build railroad or highway.
Section 178 ... Law for borrowing money to specify purpose, for
which alone money may be used.
Section 179 ... Political subdivision not to become stockholder
in corporation, or appropriate money or lend credit to any person, except for roads or
Section 180 ... Act or ordinance levying any tax must specify
purpose, for which alone money may be used.
Section 181 ... General Assembly may not levy tax for political
subdivision, but may confer power - - License and excise taxes -- City taxes in lieu of ad
Section 182 ... Railroad taxes -- How assessed and collected.
Section 184 ... Common school fund -- What constitutes -- Use --
Vote on tax for education other than in common schools.
Section 185 ... Interest on school fund -- Investment.
Section 186 ... Distribution and use of school fund.
Section 187 ... Race or color not to affect distribution of
Section 188 ... Refund of Federal direct tax part of school fund
-- Irredeemable bond.
Section 189 ... School money not to be used for church,
sectarian, or denominational school.
- Section 183 ... General Assembly to provide for school system.
Section 191 ... (Repealed 2002)
Section 192 ... (Repealed 2002)
Section 193 ... (Repealed 2002)
Section 194 ... (Repealed 2002)
Section 195 ... Corporation property subject to eminent domain
-- Corporations not to infringe upon individuals.
Section 196 ... Regulation of common carriers -- No relief from
Section 197 ... Free passes or reduced rates to officers
Section 198 ... (Repealed 2002)
Section 199 ... Telegraph and telephone companies -- Right to
construct lines -- Exchange of messages.
Section 200 ... (Repealed 2002)
Section 201 ... Public utility company not to consolidate with,
acquire or operate competing or parallel system -- Common carriers not to share earnings
with one not carrying -- Telephone companies excepted under certain conditions.
Section 202 ... (Repealed 2002)
Section 203 ... (Repealed 2002)
Section 204 ... Bank officer liable for receiving deposit for
Section 205 ... Forfeiture of corporate charters in case of
abuse or detrimental use.
Section 206 ... Warehouses subject to legislative control --
Inspection -- Protection of patrons.
Section 207 ... (Repealed 2002)
Section 208 ... (Repealed 2002)
- Section 190 ... Regulation of corporations by General Assembly.
- Section 209 ... (Repealed 2000)
- Section 210 ... Common carrier corporation not to be interested
in other business.
- Section 211 ... Foreign railroad corporation may not condemn or
acquire real estate.
- Section 212 ... Rolling stock, earnings, and personal property
of railroads subject to execution or attachment.
- Section 213 ... Railroad companies to handle traffic with
connecting carriers without discrimination.
- Section 214 ... Railroad not to make exclusive or preferential
- Section 215 ... Freight to be handled without discrimination.
- Section 216 ... Railroad must allow tracks of others to cross or
- Section 217 ... Penalties for violating Sections 213, 214, 215,
or 216 -- Attorney General to enforce.
- Section 218 ... Long and short hauls.
- Section 219 ... Militia, what to consist of.
- Section 220 ... General Assembly to provide for militia --
Exemptions from service.
- Section 221 ... Government of militia to conform to Army
- Section 222 ... Officers of militia -- Adjutant General.
- Section 223 ... Safekeeping of public arms, military records,
relics, and banners.
- Section 224 ... Bonds -- What officers to give -- Liability on.
- Section 225 ... Armed men not to be brought into State --
- Section 226 ... State lottery -- Charitable lotteries and
charitable gift enterprises -- Other lotteries and gift enterprises forbidden.
- Section 226a ... (Repealed 1935)
- Section 227 ... Prosecution and removal of local officers for
misfeasance, malfeasance, or neglect.
- Section 228 ... Oath of officers and attorneys.
- Section 229 ... "Treason" defined -- Evidence
necessary to convict.
- Section 230 ... Money not to be drawn from Treasury unless
appropriated -- Annual publication of accounts -- Certain revenues usable only for highway
- Section 231 ... Suits against the Commonwealth.
- Section 232 ... Manner of administering oath.
- Section 233 ... General laws of Virginia in force in this State
- Section 233A ... Valid or recognized marriage -- Legal
status of unmarried individuals.
- Section 234 ... Residence and place of office of public
- Section 235 ... Salaries of public officers not to be changed
during term -- Deductions for neglect.
- Section 236 ... When officers to enter upon duties.
- Section 237 ... Federal office incompatible with State office.
- Section 238 ... Discharge of sureties on officers' bonds.
- Section 239 ... Disqualification from office for presenting or
accepting challenge to duel -- Further punishment.
- Section 240 ... Pardon of person convicted of dueling.
- Section 241 ... Recovery for wrongful death.
- Section 242 ... Just compensation to be made in condemning
private property -- Right of appeal -- Jury trial.
- Section 243 ... Child labor.
- Section 244 ... Wage-earners in industry or of corporations to
be paid in money.
- Section 244a ... Old age assistance.
- Section 245 ... Revision of statutes to conform to Constitution.
- Section 246 ... Maximum limit on compensation of public
- Section 247 ... Public printing -- Contract for -- Officers not
to have interest in -- Governor to approve.
- Section 248 ... Juries -- Number of jurors -- Three-fourths may
indict or give verdict.
- Section 249 ... Employees of General Assembly -- Number and
- Section 250 ... Arbitration, method for to be provided.
- Section 251 ... Limitation of actions to recover possession of
land based on early patents.
- Section 252 ... Houses of reform to be established and
- Section 253 ... Working of penitentiary prisoners -- When and
- Section 254 ...
Control and support of convicts -- Leasing of labor.
- Section 255 ...
Frankfort is state capital.
255A ... Personal right to hunt, fish, and harvest wildlife -
Part 1 - Preamble to Section 144 | Constitution by Topic
- Section 256 ...
Amendments to Constitution -- How proposed and voted upon.
- Section 257 ...
Publication of proposed amendments.
- Section 258 ...
Constitutional Convention -- How proposed, voted upon, and called.
- Section 259 ...
Number and qualifications of delegates.
- Section 260 ...
Election of delegates -- meeting.
- Section 261 ...
Certification of election and compensation of delegates.
- Section 262 ...
Determination of election and qualifications of delegates -- Contests.
- Section 263 ...
Notice of election on question of calling convention.
- Schedule and Ordinance